Contact Info

Palazzo De Nitto
Via G. Verardi, 17
72022 Latiano (BR)
Italy

Phone Numbers
Tel. +39 0831 726 346
Mob. +39 335 650 8360
Mob. +39 335 616 7690

Email
palazzodn@gmail.com

Activities

Restaurants and Trattorie

  • Trattoria del Negroamaro - Latiano (BR) – Mob. 329 4839831
  • Trattoria La Locanda di Nonna Mena - Via Thomas Edison 30 - San Vito dei Normanni (BR) – Mob. 349 6724204 – Mob. 349 6435288
  • La Taverna di Pascalone – Via Roma, 82 – Latiano (BR) – Mob. 349 3334191
  • Ristorante Al Vicolo – Vico Desiderato, 5 – Latiano (BR) – Tel. 0831 1793835
  • Ristorante Pizzeria Daburghi – Viale Cotrino, 21 – Latiano (BR) – Tel. 0831 728938
  • Ristorante Vecchia Oria – Vicolo Rotto Milizia, 3 – Oria (BR) – Tel. 0831 845880
  • Trattoria Giù da Mino – Via dei Florenzia, 62 – Mesagne (BR) – Mob. 348 0585210
  • Gastronomia Carone – Via Nino Bixio, 38 – Mesagne (BR) – Tel. 0831 777399

Places to Visit

Latiano is a small town situated in a flat area on the ancient Appian way which connected Brindisi to Rome and it is surrounded by woods and century-old olive trees. Founded in about 1000 a.d., it was feud of many noble families (starting from 1400 a.d.), and since 1800 it belonged to the Kingdom of the two Sicilies, under the Bourbon control, until Italy was unified.

  • Piazza Umberto I: The central square of the town is dominated by Imperiali Palace, ex castle, with a very simple façade and a refined stone balcony. Seat of the several feudatories, the palace was restored and transformed a lot of times. The current structure was realized in 1724, by Imperiali family, the last owners.
  • Church of Immacolata: In Umberto I square, next to Imperiali Palace, there is the church of Immacolata (Immaculate conception): it is Imperiali family’s former chapel, built in 1765. This Greek-cross planned church is full of stuccos, decorations, paints, and Naples marbles.
  • Solise Tower: This old tower was probably built in 1528 by Paolo Francone, as his private house, before becoming a feudatory in 1600. Several families have lived there in past centuries, and in 1979 the government department responsible for monuments obstructed its demolition. Since 2003 it has been property of the local government which restored it in 2009.
  • Blessed Bartolo Longo’s birthplace: Opposite to Solise tower, it is the house where Bartolo Longo, beatified in 1980 and founder of the town of Pompei and its cathedral, lived during his childhood. On the ground floor there is a 1700 oil mill, with stone press, which is the seat of the Pottery Museum.
  • Dominican Monastery: The presence of Dominican friars in 1586 gave the town this example of local-stone architecture. The original building was enriched by modern parts in 1754. This structure has been used for different purposes in the past, and now, after being restored, it is the seat of the “Apulia Arts and Traditions Museum”.

Piazza Umberto IChurch of ImmacolataSolise TowerBlessed Bartolo Longo’s birthplaceApulia Arts and Traditions MuseumMother ChurchSanta Maria di Cotrino shrineMuro TenenteRibezzi Petrosillo Museum

  • Apulia Arts and Traditions Museum: Inaugurated in 1974 by the “Pro Loco Latiano” association (tourist information centre), this museum was created thanks to the work of some material culture collectors, which put together several objects belonging to the recent past of Latiano. One of the most interesting area of the museum is that representing the typical house of Apulia in its three main sections: domestic, handcraft and agricultural.
  • Mother Church: The most important church in the city, since ever consecrated to Santa Maria della Neve, was built on an already existing construction in 1591. The church is divided into three naves by ionic order columns. At the end of the central nave, which is the highest and largest one, there is a square-shaped apse. The superb façade was completed in 1907. Inside there is a mix of different styles, due to the different ages in which changes were produced.
  • Santa Maria di Cotrino shrine: This shrine stands on an ancient medieval village. The first pieces of information about it date back to 1607, when a countrywoman found there a picture representing Virgin Mary. In 1922 the shrine was given to Cistercian friars, who built a Monastery. The enormous modern church, set in front of a wide green park, was built starting from the 70’s.
  • Muro Tenente: It is a fortified Messapian archeological area, of about 50 hectares. Since the 60’s the “Superintendence for archaeological  heritage of Puglia” conducted archaeological excavations in this site and since the 90’s these works were directed by the University of Amsterdam. The excavations have showed that the area was already inhabited in the Neolithic Era (IX – III millennium b.C.).
  • Ribezzi Petrosillo Museum: The museum is situated in the ancient house of one of its founders, in the old town center. It aims to preserve the historical items linked to our territory, starting from the messapic era to the 17th century.
    The museum is divided into two floors. The ground floor houses temporary exhibitions, for example now there are some archeological findings from Muro Tenente. Ancient ceramic wares, encyclopedias, coins, opera scores, musical instruments, cameras and clothing are also present.
    On the first floor there is a recreation of the local noble families’ life. The rooms contain hunting tools and weapons, parchments, paintings, medical tools, books and sacred objects.